Thursday, July 17, 2008

Through the Lens: Zanzibar Part I

Impossibly clear water in the harbor in Zanzibar.
A dhow in front of prison island, where we fed the tortoises.
You can see the star fish? There were hundreds, and all of them neon!

I have arrived safely back in Bungoma, and realized how much I missed the family and all of the other volunteers. I'm glad to be here again. Also, almost all of the painting is done in the clinic and Elizabeth (the VCT manager) will be bringing the curtains in the next day or so. Also, they opened up a segment of the fence and have redone the floor. I'm so excited--we're quite close to a final District Health inspection and then opening for testing!

I have some incredible photos from the trip that I went through last night but haven't put on my jump drive for upload to the blog yet. I took about 400 photos during my week in Zanzibar, and some from the plane from Zanzibar to Nairobi! I have some breathtaking shots of Mt. Kilimanjaro from the plane, emerging rather like a giant floating mountain on top of a sea of clouds. It's was a stirring early morning flight with the sunrise to starboard and Kilimanjaro to port; and the flight wasn't very full so you could move around a bit to get an incredible view. I can't wait to upload the photos!

No comments: