Saturday, July 19, 2008

Through the Lens: Zanzibar II, Sunsets

This is a shot of Mt. Kilimanjaro rising from the clouds. I have many shots of the mountain, looking so surreal!--as if it were floating on the textures of sunrise clouds. I had a 6AM flight from Zanzibar to Nairobi. I'll upload a few more of the mountain later. This capped off the trip rather nicely--iconic Tanzania, perfectly and dramatically from the sky.
I have five or six shots of the sun sequentially, sinking slowly into the clouds and glowing for hours after.
The little dark building on the right is Mercury's, named after Queen's Freddie Mercury who was born in Zanzibar. It was the perfect location for sunset dinners.
The open theater on the right was the center of the activities of the Festival of the Dhow Countries and the ZIFF. The venue is the Old Fort, built by Portugal in the 1800's. This is the view of the harbor from the top balcony of the House of Wonders, a palacial building where many of the ZIFF films were shown.
The sunset had endless variations, and was clear and distinct and always stirring--every single evening.
One of my Zanzibari friends who I met a few nights at the harbor to watch the sunset took this one. The palace of Princess Salme is in the background on the right.
Another night, another sunset; Nungwi, Zanzibar--over the Indian Ocean.
A frequent place to sit and relax by the water in Nungwi.
From the balcony at my hotel in Nungwi.
The lighthouse on the northern tip of Zanzibar as the sun was glowing low and golden.
These are a mere fraction of the photos that I took--[almost 400!]--so I'll pick through them and include others later. Much has been done on the clinic as well, enough to have a full set of photos on its own.

No comments: