Wednesday, July 9, 2008

SCUBA

This is in the evening, about an hour after sunset, in Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania.

This turtle is 108 years old, and has paid down to eat a leav I dropped. They moved so slowly, but you could tell when they were 'chasing' you. They squeaked when their shells moved and made weird breathy noises when they were grasping for food.

So, I've been in Nungwe on the northernmost tip of Zanzibar for the last few days. I finished my Advanced Open Water PADI SCUBA certification dives just a few hours ago--I did a dive to 100ft., drift dive, night dive, fish identification dive, and navigation dive to complete it. The reefs are quite stunning and make me feel like I'm in an eltra-panorama National Geographic photo.


Mostly I just wanted to post a bunch of pictures, but as usual the internet is slow and fickle. At least there are two!

6 comments:

Jzebo said...

Hey Jeffrey!! I guess the best thing to say is "changes in latitude changes in attitude" to quote the great beach bum crooner Jimmy Buffet. I love reading your blogs. Ivy loves the picture of you and the 108 year old tortoise! My next goal is to get your mom to move to Pensacola. Good luck with the medical school process. I miss you and love you very much. Can't wait to see you.
~Aunt Marilyn and Ivy

Don Pets..... said...

Again, I hope the last comment posted....

Don Pets..... said...

Looks like the last comment did not post. It basically said, I have been way busy "packing" the home for that "change in latitude..."

Do they really wash their cars in the lake?

Jeff Z. said...

Aunt M and Ivy,
Yes they wash their cars in the lake!

I miss you both very much, and always appreciate the messages!

Don't work too hard getting mom and dad to move to Pensacola. They have more geographic adventures in store before they head down that way, I have a feeling.

Say hello to Lily/Collin/Uncle Don for me, and I love you all!

--Jeffrey.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
I am a graphic designer working in the Office of Marketing and Communications at Case. I am working on a postcard for Undergraduate Admission and would like permission to use some of your photos. The photos I am interested in using are Kenya blog 63, 84, 87 and animal in the road.jpegs. Please let me know if we can use htese image sin our publication.
Thanks!
Cindy Young

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
I am a graphic designer working in the Office of Marketing and Communications at Case. I am working on a postcard for Undergraduate Admission and would like permission to use some of your photos. The photos I am interested in using are Kenya blog 63, 84, 87 and animal in the road.jpegs. Please let me know if we can use htese image sin our publication.
Thanks!
Cindy Young