Monday, July 7, 2008

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it", sung in the mellow Gene Wilder-as-Willy Wonka voice has been running through my head all morning.

Yesterday I went to the "House of Wonders" with Jessie and Nicole and learned all about the dhow, the sultans of Zanzibar, modern Zanzibar culture, etc. On our way back to the hotels, we saw the Spice Tour van that Lonely Planet recommended--so I asked if they had room, and they did. So, I went on a spice tour--Nicole and Jessie had to take the ferry back to Dar Es Salaam, so we said our goodbyes and off I went! The spices were incredible, I could write a list a mile long of all the leaves and flower, fruits and roots that we smelled and tasted.

Upon return after a spice-filled lunch, I checked into a charming hotel, with all of the amenities of Maszons where I had been staying, at less than a third of the price! Also, the furniture and decor was all very Arabic/Swahili and had so much character.

I then walked to the main local market, where I was looking for some traditional Zanzibar leather sandals, and I found a guy that was able to help me find the 'factory' that made the sandals they sold in Stone Town, but at a fraction of the price. I got two pair, and headed back to the Warere Guest House.

For dinner, I had marlin, and barracuda at the street vendors which cater to the flurry of tourists. The night before, we sampled every kind of seafood that you can imagine--so I really only went back for the favorites. Also, passion fruit Fanta--I haven't seen it in Kenya, but I've been drinking so much of it here in Zanzibar.

Today, I'm in Nungwe, where I'll be staying for a few days--it's the northernmost point of Zanzibar. I'll return to the Stone Town area Friday for the start of the film festival, and take day trips from there.

Pictures still on hold--the internet places here aren't as cooperative as those in Bungoma.

1 comment:

Chris said...

It's great to read about your African adventures and see the progress you've made on the clinic. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and good luck on the rest of your endeavours there.