Monday, June 30, 2008

Kisumu, and the Almost Complete Clinic

The clinic is almost complete. The records room with the desk, segmented door, and shelves...the cabinets with locks...the proper furniture...the fence is complete as of today. Now we need curtains and to enlarge the road-side entry. We need to buy gloves/labcoats and get an incenerator or incenerator contract. Today I painted with Tom. His progress is so unpredictable...some days rapid, some days nonexistant.

The weekend in Kisumu was excellent. Lots of good food, a boat ride on Lake Victoria where we saw wild hippos, and the sunset at the Yacht club were some highlights. It's nice tobe back though.

There are so many volunteers now! Four American medical students from PA arrived; I can't remember if I mentioned that there were two girls from Australia--one doctor (Melissa) and one for the MDP (Lucy).

This Thursday will mark my fourth week in Kenya. I will fly out Friday hopefully to go to Zanzibar and meet up with a friend from the Miami Valley School (Nicole) who goes to Vanderbilt, and a friend of hers. They'll be therefor the weekend, then I'll stay the rest of the week before flying back to Kisumu and returning to ICODEI.

I met with Elizabeth today, who is going to be the manager of the VCT center, and she's going to aquire the curtain material and make them herself.

No comments: