Tuesday, June 3, 2008

12 Hours and Counting

A trip to the bank, some final trimmings for the suitcase, and a few delicious meals have rounded out the day nicely.

I read through the information on the Volunteer Kenya website and double checked that I had my debit and credit cards in working order and not ready to expire or anything. I have enough cash to get me a good distance. Also, I had quite a productive chat with Krishna, who will arrive in Bungoma in late June after taking the MCAT.

Pending unforeseen circumstances that could alter course, here will be the series of events!
3 June
AM
6:30 wake up
8:45 leave the house
10:50 fly to Chicago
PM
depart Chicago

4 June
AM
arrive London
depart London
PM
9:00 arrive Nairobi
overnight in Nairobi

5 June
AM
7:30 meet taxi, get bus ticket
8:30 bus departs
2 breaks and 8 hours later
PM
arrive Bungoma

Other things I need to make sure happen include changing dollars to Kenyan Shillings (KSh), and having an uneventful night and morning in Nairobi.

I've been thinking, when I get back home: my aunt, uncle, and cousins that have lived within 10 minutes for the last...must be almost 10 years?--they're moving to Atlanta in July. They had a beautiful Victorian home with a 100-year history--moved on trucks from one location to another back in 1950. There were so many good memories that we all had in that house. It will be weird to not see it again, decked out in extravagant Halloween or Christmas decor. I'll miss the birthday parties for my cousins there--the tea parties, pizza parties, just-for-fun occasions//in the neighborhood where the neighbor walks up to the door and comes right in. The afternoons we spent walking to the library or going to the candy store, the Fourth of July parades, or just the random times watching movies or playing with the intercom in the former dentist's office...

Well, the point is: it'll be different when I get back and they won't be here; they'll be off on another adventure too!

For now, goodnight. I should try to enjoy the last night of having a really comfortable bed.

1 comment:

btway said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.