Thursday, June 26, 2008

A fence? It's progress!

Today is Thursday--and no pictures! The computer doesn't seem to lwant to upload them. This week I've been teaching in school, and I did an awareness HIV/AIDS program at a secondary school near Kitale. Oh, and I had the most amazing conversation with a group of probably a hundred children. They wanted pen-pals from the US, and they started handing me their names and information! If you know anyone who would like to write a letter to a 6-8th grade student in Kenya, here are some names and the address! Be warned, though, that sending a letter back to you will be ridiculously expensive for them. If you want a response, include an envelope with proper postage addressed to yourself. Oh, and beware--they'll probably ask for money, school fees, even a car! They get really excited about the US though, and every child's hero seems to be Obama...

Anne Akinyi
Nyamira Primary
PO Box 183
Kitale, Kenya

Mariga Silas
Bramuel Waswa
Machuma Lydiah Waswa
Simiyu Nelson
Annah Awoh
Daisy Tenae
Njordge Ernest Njogu
Khadya Elizabeth Nasimiyu
Diana Hafula Winny
Winny Hafula Muhus
Hekesa Hoei Khaemba
Kalabayi Wycliffe
Annet Atipo
Bunambo Primary School
PO Box 12
50212 Ndalu, Kenya

Other things of note...I washed my clothes by hand today. I figured it be a hassle, but it ended up being quite relaxing. All of my shiurts dried fairly quickly, but it started raining while I've been in town. I think Mary was going to bring things in if it started raininsh, so I have my fingers crossed.

Due to poor connectiopn today, no medical school progress. Tomorrow, though, I hope to get the last little bit done. I feel like I'm operating on Africa time...I say it'll be done tomorrow, but what does that really mean? It means that I'll finish sometime in the next week.

The fence posts were put up today around the clinic and we measured the 17 windows for curtains. Inside, Tom finished putting locks on a few cabinets an built shelves for the records room.

This weekend, we're heading to Kisumu for fish, Hippos, and trinket-hunting. There's supposed to be an incredible market there, and excellent food. This morning when I spoke to KJrishna (whose ETA is mid-July) he raved about the myriad of restaurants with better variety than Bungoma. I'll probably update from Kisumu, with pictures.

No comments: