Tuesday, May 20, 2008

On your mark!

I've settled in at home in Dayton, Ohio after an excellent close to the school year. An increasing number of e-mails have been coming my way from ICODEI (that's what Volunteer Kenya is called in Kenya--stands for Inter-Community Development Involvement). I have my orientation information, how to travel from Nairobi to Bungoma, medical release information, and instructions on how to wire the fees. I'll be going by the bank later today, but I'm not sure if I should wire the money yet since they request sending no more than 10-14 days in advance of arrival.

Otherwise, there haven't been any new developments. It looks like limited internet connectivity will be available, but there's a place in town where access is about 1.5 Ksh per minute (or about 2.5 cents a minute, which amounts to $1.50 an hour; not bad at all). I have to call Josh and Krishna to get their packing suggestions and tips for following the directions given in the Volunteer Kenya orientation information.

No comments: